Friday, October 3, 2014

JDE Brides: Katelyn

If you haven't checked out Katelyn & David's wedding.....well, you're missing out.  Their wedding was definitely one of my very favorites that I had the opportunity to coordinate this year.  Katelyn & I go way back and I was so excited that I got to be a part of her big day!  She's one of the nicest and funniest people I know.  Read on to learn a bit more about her and hear the advice she has for future brides.



Who are you and who is your husband?  Katelyn & David

How did the two of you meet?  This is always a difficult question for me to answer....David and I technically met in fourth grade and I have the yearbook to prove I was in love with him {or at least thought he was a hottie} since day one.  And yes, that documentation was shown to all our friends and family in the middle of our wedding ceremony.  We re-met on February 13, 2008.  It was our junior year at Virginia Tech and I literally showed up at his house.  It was the night before my 21st birthday, and my sorority was having a Valentine's Date party.  I went date-less since I wanted to focus on being 21 and not worry about taking care of a date.  All of David's roommates were going, so they offered to host a pre-game at their house.  I had no clue that the house we were going to was David's before I got there, but we spotted each other across the dirty frat-house basement {romantic, I know} and wound up chatting most of the night away.  The next day, I got a phone call asking me to his fraternity's date party that weekend {I'll save that story for another time...} and we have been together ever since!

How did he pop the question?  On June 8, 2013, David convinced me that he had a work event at the Cavalier Golf & Yacht Club that afternoon.  It was a mostly-cloudy day with some scattered thunderstorms, but he suggested we have a picnic lunch before heading over.  Since David typically hates picnics, I immediately took him up on his offer.  He took me to his special spot on the dunes of 80th street where the sun popped out and he popped the question.  David thought ahead and had a photographer there to capture every moment.  No more than 2 minutes after the photographer left, the skies opened and the rain came down.  David convinced me that the "work event" that afternoon was still happening {I blame it on the post-engagement high....I mean, who would actually do that!?}.  He took me over to the Cavalier.  We headed over to a yacht docked at the club and when I opened the door, both of our families and best friends were there to help us celebrate our engagement day!  By this time, there was not a cloud in the sky, so we cruised around the bay for the afternoon, enjoying champagne, cupcakes, and each others company.  It was the most perfect day!

 
What 5 words would you use to describe your wedding?  Full of love and fun!

What were your favorite/least favorite parts of wedding planning?  Favorite: Our food tasting.  Least favorite: Everything else.

Where did you go for your honeymoon?  The Ritz-Carlton Club in St. Thomas....a very generous wedding gift!


Who were your vendors?
Coordinator - Just Dandy Events
Photography - Sami Proctor Photography & Design
Second Shooter - Elizabeth Henson Photos
Ceremony - Trinity Church
Recepption - Cavalier Golf & Yacht Club
Dress - Ava Clara
Cake - Plaza Bakery
DJ - Barry McKay
Linens - Waterford Event Rentals
Flowers - Bouquets were from Norfolk Wholesale Floral, Centerpieces were DIY from Sams Club
Invitations - LesliesCardArt from Etsy
Programs - PaigesPaper on Etsy


If you could do one thing different, what would it be?  Absolutely nothing, it was perfect!

Any advice for future brides?  Don't over-think things!  I was so easy going about the whole planning process because I didn't want to spend an insane amount of money {that's impossible by the way}.  I picked my vendors, told them what I wanted, and let it go.  I kept the decorations simple since I was DIYing it.  On the day of the wedding, I was actually blown away by how incredible everything looked and I think a lot of that had to do with not being so focused on every detail being extravagant and perfect.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply