Thursday, August 14, 2014

Vendor Spotlight - Sami Proctor Photography & Design

I had the pleasure of working with Sami Proctor on David & Katelyn's wedding.  Not only is she talented, she's also one of THE sweetest people I've ever met.  She's always smiling, she always has something nice to say.  We got the opportunity to sit down over our vendor meals at the wedding, and really talk about what it meant to both of us to start up our "little businesses" while still maintaining a full-time job.  It was so great to get feedback and advice from Sami.  She's wonderful and I truly hope I get the chance to work with her again soon.

Read about Sami, get to know her a bit, and then check out her work.  You'll like her just as much as I do.





Tell us about Sami Proctor Photography & Design: Hi! I’m Sami Proctor, a photographer and designer based out of Columbia, Maryland. I have always had a passion for art and love being inspired by the people I love and the places I go. After graduating from Old Dominion with a degree in Fine Arts and a concentration in Graphic Design, I decided to challenge myself and open up a business. In 2013, I officially opened Sami Proctor Photography & Design.


I love natural light and telling a story. I believe in true love and happily ever afters. I strive to create meaningful images that stand the test of time. I love to create, to imagine, to dream.


Thank you for taking the time to get to know me and my business a little more!

How long has SPP&D been operating:  Opening Sami Proctor Photography & Design has been an amazing journey for me. I just recently hit my one-year anniversary of officially being in business. I have learned so much about myself this past year and gained so much knowledge on ways to better serve my clients and grow! I am so excited to see what the future has in store! I hope you’ll join me on this journey.


What area do you serve? I currently shoot sessions in Maryland, DC, Virginia, and Pennsylvania, but I am always thrilled to shoot destination weddings / sessions!

What services do you offer? SPP&D is a photography and design studio specializing in weddings, engagements, couples, maternity, high school seniors and families, as well as branding services, website design, and wedding / event branding, including save the date cards, invitations, programs and more.


How would you describe your photography style? Radiant and Natural.  My style is full of bright, radiant light. I love telling a story that is full of love and emotion. To capture a specific moment in time that cannot be repeated. I strive to create an atmosphere where my clients feel comfortable in front of the camera, which then is reflected into their images. 


What's the most memorable event you've photographed? I have had the opportunity to shoot some amazing couples and families, but my favorite and most memorable event to photograph thus far was for my best friend. We have been best friends since we were in first grade, that’s 23+ years of friendship, and to be able to photograph her engagement session and the opportunity to shoot her wedding this October means the world to me. I love gaining relationships from all of my clients and capturing their amazing moments in life, but it is extra special when that person holds a special place in your heart.


What are your favorite types of events to photograph?  Weddings are my absolute favorite type of event to photograph. After going through this process almost two years ago, I know how meaningful and special your wedding day is. To stand in front of your family, friends and God and proclaim your love for one another is such an amazing gift. To be able to capture these treasured moments fills my heart. After shooting a wedding, my cheeks always hurt from smiling all day! 

 
Who are your favorite vendors/venues to work with/at? Based on my previous experience as a bride, photographing a handful of weddings and hearing feedback from my brides, some vendors I would recommend are:

Venues

          MOCA (Museum of Contemporary Art)

          The Signature at West Neck

          The Cavalier Golf and Yacht Club

          Back Bay Farms

Florist

          Norfok Wholesale Florist

Makeup Artist

          Rachel Reid Makeup Artistry

Coordinators

          Just Dandy Events

Rentals

          Distinctive Event Rentals

Cake

          Sugar Plum Bakery

          Sweetly Done Cakes

What advice do you have for brides trying to choose a photographer?  There are so many wedding photographers in the industry, so how do you find the perfect photographer for you? First, I would recommend looking at their work. Make sure you like their style of photography. Second, I would recommend meeting your photographer, whether in person, over the phone or via Skype. Making sure you and your photographer “click” is so important. You should have no doubt that the photographer you pick was meant to capture your special day! It can be helpful to do a session before your wedding, like an engagement session, to get comfortable with each other. This will give you a little sneak peek into the interaction between you and the photographer on your wedding day! 

  Thanks so much for your time Sami!  You're wonderful!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply