Thursday, April 21, 2016

Vendor Spotlight: Hair by Stephanie B




Hey friends!  I’m so excited to introduce you all to one of my very favorite hair stylists of all time.  Stephanie Boyce of Hair by Stephanie B is one of the sweetest and most talented people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting.  I’ve loved working with her on both weddings and styled shoots and I can’t wait to work with her again.  Read on to learn a bit about her business and hear some advice she has for brides.



Tell us about Hair by Stephanie B:
I have been a licensed cosmetologist for 14 years.  My hair career started in Washington State and I moved to Virginia Beach 6 years ago with my husband who is in the United States Navy.  I work out of Metamorphosis Salon and Spa and I travel to style hair on location for weddings.

I began styling hair at a young age, my mother would always buy me fashion magazines and I would cut out all the pictures save them in a notebook.  I spent so much of my time as a teenager styling my own hair and my friends’ hair just for fun and when school dances came around, everyone would come over.  I got so much joy and fulfillment from seeing the look of excitement and the love in their eyes over their hair.

The first time a bride asked me to style her hair for her wedding, I was shocked!  Not because I didn’t think I was good enough; I just couldn’t believe she chose ME to be a part of her special day.  The amount of honor I felt was indescribable. When she surprised me with a photo of herself in her gown, I may have shed a tear or two.  My heart was filled with love and joy knowing that I helped her feel beautiful on one of the most memorable days of her life, and that the hair I styled would forever be in her history.  From that moment on I can say I truly found my calling in my professional life as a bridal hairstylist.


How would you describe your style?
Honestly, I’m mostly concerned with everyone else’s style and helping them bring their vision to life.  Truly listening and absorbing all the information and ideas brides and clients have is what’s important to me.  I have been blessed with a huge amount of patience and understanding, but I believe that really comes from my passion for styling and my determination to give my very best and to make sure someone feels confident and beautiful.

What’s the most memorable event you’ve ever contributed to?
My most memorable event was last year when I traveled 6 ½ hours away to style hair for Shari’s wedding, October of 2015.  The location was Meadows of Dan, Virginia at Chateau Morisette on the Blue Ridge Parkway.  I brought my best friend Andrea with me and it was a drive we will never forget.  Once we got off the highway and left the town of Floyd, we lost cell phone service and didn’t have any for the next 3 days, not even a radio signal.  We got lost numerous times, our GPS went in and out and constantly warned us about unmarked roads  At one point when we were climbing the mountain to our destination, we came to a long line of traffic.  To our astonishment the road had started to fall off the side of the mountain!  A tractor had to guide ten cars at a time to the top.  Our journey, or should I say adventure, was one of the most beautiful car rides I had ever been on in my entire life.  The scenery was gorgeous, we stopped at all the look out points and took pictures.  It was the heart of the fall season so all the leaves were bright and colorful, it looked like endless hills of fire.  We stayed in a cozy little cabin for the weekend on a Christmas tree and lavender farm with deer and bunnies.  The morning of the wedding the fog was so thick that when we were driving to the winery I could only see 10 feet in front of me.  The fog cleared and a beautiful day was given to Shari and Chris on their special day.


What are your top 3 tips for brides when choosing a hairstylist for their wedding day?
One. Find a hairstylist that has experience in bridal styling and has a real passion for it.  Styling is different from cutting or coloring.  Up-styling and formal hairstyling are very different from everyday looks.  It’s important to build a proper foundation in the hair for longevity and to use the correct hair products.  It’s my job to make sure every hair is in place and looks flawless.

Two. Consultations are so important!  It gives us a chance to meet and get to know one another face to face before the wedding and to work out all the details.  When meeting for the first time it’s important to voice your style to me and the look you are aiming for on the day of your wedding.  Tell me about your venue, bring me pictures of your dress, as well as a picture of the bridesmaids’ dresses so I can help guide you with your decisions.  All of this preparation makes for a smooth morning the day of your wedding and ensures that you can sit back, relax, sip a mimosa, and I can take care of the rest.

Three.  The myth about dirty hair and updos….I can’t tell you how many times I am asked “How dirty does my hair need to be for you to style it?”.  Ladies, you CAN wash your hair the day of or the night before.  The worst is when someone takes that old wives tale too far and not even an entire can of dry shampoo will absorb that oil.  Hair products have come such a long way over the years that I can control exactly how I want the texture of your hair.  More than likely I will ask that everyone come to me with clean, dry hair {blown out, not air dried} that has not been flat ironed and does not have any heavy or oily products in it.  Be assured that I can smooth out and volumize any mane!


What is your biggest goal for Hair by Stephanie B?
My goals are simple things I live by and are key to my everyday life and the future of Hair by Stephanie B.  If I pay attention to the present and continue to improve, what comes later will only be better.  I like to surround myself with like minded individuals who are inspirational, talented, and willing to share & teach so we can all grow & support one another.  “If we surround ourselves with the best, we will become the best.” {One of my hair heroes, Kris Sorbie said that at a Redken learning seminar I attended in Las Vegas}  I am a firm believer in continuing my education as a hair stylist in this endlessly evolving business so I can provide current information, techniques, and trends to my clients and brides.  I am open minded and hopeful to expand Hair by Stephanie B and to find other passionate stylists that enjoy the wedding industry as much as I do.  It is important for me to share everything I have learned through these years since I have a had strong, talented, and loving mentors throughout my career.  I would like to pay it forward.


share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply