Monday, February 8, 2016

Motivation for the Small Business Owner



So every now and then, I get a little overwhelmed by this whole small business ownership thing.  It can be exhausting and terrifying and absolutely downright wonderful, all at the same time.  I’m lucky enough to have the most incredible friends in my life that cheer me on and help talk me down when I let the pressure get to me.  But sometimes I need to hear a few encouraging words from someone I don’t know.  Don’t ask me why….it just helps me to feel a little better.

So, sometimes I turn to Pinterest to find some inspiration and motivation.  To help turn my way of thinking around and make myself feel better when things get crazy and overwhelming.  Seriously what did we do before Pinterest?  I figured I’d share a few of my favorite quotes I’ve found recently to help cheer on any of you small business owners that might be feeling the same way.

“Don’t let small minds convince you that your dreams are too big.”
As small business owners, we’ve taken a leap of faith to conquer our fears and achieve our big, wild, scary dreams.  And some people in our lives may not understand.  Whether they mean well and are concerned for our well-being or are just plain jealous of our successes….they just don’t get it.  And instead of supporting us, they tell us that we’re crazy for pursuing our dreams.  They list all the reasons we’re going to fail.  They try to convince us to give up and take the safe route.  When that happens to me, I do my best to remember this quote.  I thank the person for their concern, and then I move on….with a bigger motivation to prove that person wrong.  Because nothing feels sweeter than surprising a doubter.

“Entrepreneurship is living a few years of your life like most people won’t so you can spend the rest of your life like most people can’t.”
It’s a feeling all small business owners know too well.  The days spent balancing a full time job and your dream job.  The evenings that turn into early mornings at your computer.  Having to turn down Friday night plans so that you can conquer your every growing to-do list.  Right now, you’re hustling your little butt off to make your dreams a reality.  Some days it’s next to impossible to remember why you’re trying so hard.  Some days it might not seem like you’re making any sort of progress and you just want to give up.  But the reality of the situation is that all of the hustling is worth it because you’re on your way to living the life you’ve dreamed of.  It’s hard work that takes a special kind of person to accomplish.  You’re going to be your own boss, and you’ll have yourself to thank for that.  What an amazing feeling that’s going to be.  Keep chugging friend.

“Small business isn’t for the faint of heart.  It’s for the brave, the patient, & the persistent.  It’s for the overcomer.”
Not only does being a small business owner mean that you have to work hard.  It literally takes so much bravery to make a dream into a career.  It means constantly wearing your heart on your sleeve and taking every “no” as a little push to try harder.  It’s downright terrifying.  And at the same time, so gratifying.  It’s a constant feeling of knowing you’ve put all your cards on the table and you’re willing to take whatever comes at you to make your dream a success.  Small business ownership isn’t for everyone….but it’s for you.

“Entrepreneurs are willing to work 80 hours a week to avoid working 40 hours a week.”
Oh this one hits so close to home.  I currently work 40 hours a week at a job where I’m not my own boss….where my schedule is not my own and my projects & priorities are decided for me.  To say I don’t love that job would be a huge understatement.  If given the option today, I would quit that job and work twice as hard & twice as many hours on my dream job.  There would be no question.  When you love what you do, it doesn’t feel so much like work.  It feels like a labor of love.  And you would spend as many hours necessary to make it a success.

“It does not matter how slowly you go, as long as you do not stop.”
Growth takes time.  Nothing worthwhile is easy or quick.  Sometimes I get really frustrated with how long it’s taken me to build JDE into what it is today.  Did you know that next month marks 5 whole years that I’ve been growing my little hobby into the business that I dream of?  I see other people in the industry go full time in their first year all the time.  And while I’m so happy for them and love cheering them on, sometimes it’s a tough pill to swallow.  But along the way I’ve realized that if JDE is going to be everything I want it to be, it’s going to take careful planning, hard work, and lots of time.  And as long as I’m moving forward, I’m happy to keep chugging along to build a strong foundation for this dream of mine.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply