Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Vendor Spotlight - Everything Emma



Everyone meet Emma!!!  This super talented lady holds a super special place in my heart.  Not only does she create some of the most delicious and beautiful desserts.  I remember the first time I had the opportunity to taste something Emma baked.  It was Super Bowl 2014 and she baked these adorable football cupcakes.  They were SO GOOD.  She's also one of the kindest and most creative people I know.  I'm so thankful to have her in my life as a fellow wedding vendor, and also as one of my greatest friends.  Read on to learn a bit more about Everything Emma and to hear her advice for choosing the right baker for your wedding day.



Tell us all about Everything Emma!  
Everything Emma started as a creative outlet that had previously been muffled due to the typical excuses, "I'm too busy, I have to focus on work, I'll do it tomorrow, etc." Since I rarely ever make a New Years resolution, I decided January 2015, I would start a blog. I had no clue what I was doing, but I loved whatever it was that I was doing for the blog. The blog took it's own turn and quickly went from "lifestyle" to "cakes, cakes and maybe a casserole here and there". I fell into a beautiful group of creatives that support each other and keep the motivation going. I still have no clue what direction the blog will go towards, but that's what I love most. It's the one thing I can't plan and I haven't been disappointed yet.

How long have you been operating? 
Officially, I would say, just shy of a year. But I've always been in the kitchen or trying to style pretty things. It's what comes natural and easy, not necessarily perfect every time, but that wouldn't be any fun.
What made you go into baking?
I'd like to say it was some sort of grand plan, but the cake life chose me as opposed to vice versa. It started as a few dozen cupcakes for work or a birthday celebration, which turned into actual birthday cakes and then one day, a wedding cake. Knowing that something I created and put a lottttttt of time and effort into was going to be apart of a milestone for someone is what keeps me baking.

How would you describe your style?
Somehow a mix of whimsy with modern architectural influences and a touch of vintage? It's a tad confused, but just think of gold, pale peachy pink frills and a little shimmer and you've got Everything Emma.



What's the most memorable event you've ever contributed to?
The most memorable even was Lauren & Tyler's wedding. They were my first couple and they took a total chance on me since I'd never ever made a wedding cake, I repeat never ever. Anywho, it was b-e-a-uuutiful! I still can't believe that I did that and was a part of such a huge moment for them. I can't thank them enough for that opportunity as it has completely opened up so many opportunities for 2016.

What are your top 3 tips for couples choosing a baker for their wedding day?
1. Don't be afraid to ask questions! Some people find that they don't want to offend someone's "profession", but it's your wedding day! Ask away! "What do you charge?, Can I try your cakes?, Are they frozen or baked fresh? Do you deliver? Do you do fondant or frosting?"

2. Be understanding of pricing. Weddings are expensive, we all know this. By the time you get the venue, caterer, planner and dress, you're eating ramen noodles until the big day. Cakes are expensive as well. It takes a lot of time, a lot of products and a lot of stress. Not to mention the previous practice to perfect our technique.

3. Communicate. Don't worry about blowing up their inbox, seriously! Give them every single detail that you want, our baker brains over-analyze everything and we thrive on the details. Send us pictures, flavor ideas, and any little idea that pops into your head. Either we can do it, or we can't. It's best to let your baker know precisely what you want or you may end up with a cake you weren't expecting.



What has been your proudest moment as a small business owner? 
I know it's vague, but creating edible memories for people is the best part of this. Whether it is a wedding cake or a baby's smash cake, it's a memory that is captured and savored. Even yesterday at a birthday gathering, one guest exclaimed, "Holy crap you made this?! It's the best cupcake I've ever had!" I didn't pay her to say this and she was completely sober, and it totally made my day. It's the best feeling knowing you made something special for someone and sweetened life a tad.

What’s your biggest goal?
My biggest goal is to eventually be my own boss. It's something a lot of people dream about, but few attempt. I know it's possible and that it'll take time, but it's something to look forward to.



What kind of future do you see for Everything Emma?
I've been working on and planning a few ideas for 2016, including the Cupcakes & Cocktails parties and rebranding. Luckily, my brain is always churning and big changes are coming, just stay tuned. Like I said previously, this is the one thing I can't plan on. The blog has taken me on so many wonderful adventures, that I know it won't disappoint in the following years.

If you're looking for a gorgeous wedding cake, or even just a batch of homemade cupcakes for a birthday party....contact Emma.  You won't be disappointed.

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply