Tuesday, December 1, 2015

My Wolfpack




I have this group of friends that I don’t know how I ever lived without.  And I don’t know how I ran my business without them either.  Not because I can’t make decisions without them or anything like that.  But because they just know how to be there for a girl.  We all build each other up, help each other out, and have each other’s backs at all times.  Even though we’re in the same industry with similar clientele, there’s no competition among us.  That whole “community over competition” thing is just second nature to us.  We didn’t need a movement to put that into practice, it’s just the way we’re wired.  The way our mommas raised us.  Be kind and treat others the way you want to be treated...isn’t that how the saying goes?

Every day, we remind each other that we’re enough.  That all of the hard work, the blood and sweat and tears are all worth it.  When one of us has an idea, we voice it.  We sort of brain dump our thoughts onto the rest of the group and then, something magical happens.  We brainstorm, we offer constructive criticism, and we do what needs to be done to make this idea into a reality.  We help each other.  Any project that one of us tackles, we all sort of tackle together.  Even though our name won’t go in the credits when all is said and done...the success of that project is so incredibly important to each of us.

Of the four of us, three are photographers {that’s right….I’m the oddball} and they’re all located in Hampton Roads.  In most groups, they would see each other as competition.  If one of them books a bride, isn’t that a client that the other two missed out on?  Nope.  Not even close.  Instead they offer to second shoot for each other and give advice on the different venues they’ll be shooting at.  They give tips on culling and opinions on edits.  It’s never, ever about competition.

Being the only non-photog in the group, the others look out for me in such awesome ways.  When I need some updated headshots and pictures for my blog, they jump to make it happen.  When they book a wedding and they find that the couple is in search of a planner, they give them my business card and totally vouch for my services.  It’s like having my own cheerleading squad.

These ladies are also three of the best friends I’ve ever had.  Not even counting the business aspect, they really do make my life so much richer.  I know that I can go to them with everyday things, and they’re always there for me.  Even though they each have their own family and friends, they make time for our friendship.  And that means a lot more than some might think.

Angie, Heidi, & Liz: Thank you for being you.  For always being there for me and helping make me a better person.  Thank you for being my people, my wolfpack.  I love you all to pieces!

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply