Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Vendor Spotlight - Water's Edge Design




Hey ya'll, I've got such a great vendor spotlight for you today!  I'm so excited to introduce you to my dear friend Julia of Water's Edge Design.  What to say about this wonderful lady.  We met a few years ago through a super awesome mutual friend and I'm thankful every day that Rachel brought Julia into my life.  She's is easily the nicest person I've ever met.  And I mean that 100% genuinely.  If you ever get the pleasure of meeting her, you'll instantly know what I mean.  She's just one of those people that does whatever she can to get to know a person for exactly who they are, and then she appreciates them for it....no matter what.  She's one of a kind ya'll.

But more than just being the sweetest ever, Julia is crazy talented.  Over the next couple months, I'll be writing some posts about how I've recently had the opportunity to work with Julia on a business level.  And let me tell you, she's a dream to work with.  I can't wait to share later, but for now, I'll let Julia tell you a bit about herself and her amazing company, Water's Edge Design.

Tell us about your business:
At Water's Edge Design, I create, design, restore, and repurpose everything from signs to antique furniture.  I love using driftwood and reclaimed wood to bring that shabby chic beach cottage feeling into my customers' homes.  I started out creating custom wooden signs and since then have branched out into coastal home decor and rental pieces for weddings & events.

How long have you been operating?
Water's Edge Design started in June of 2014 after friends and family begged me to begin selling my items they saw me make for my home or gifts.  I couldn't be more excited and grateful at how things have grown in the last year!


What areas do you serve?
I am based out of Richmond, VA but travel around the state for events.  I have also shipped my pieces to places like Myrtle Beach, SC and Washington DC!

What services do you offer?
I have a wide variety of items for sale and rent.  I began making custom pieces and am building my inventory as I will have a booth at Class and Trash this summer here in Ashland, VA.  I have made everything from driftwood sea creatures, adorable coaster sets and memo boards, to custom made wedding guest book signs.  I also have created beautiful rustic headboards, children's growth charts and family tree signs.  Because I love to go antiquing and picking, I have established a growing collection of really special and unique furniture and decor pieces.  I have now branched out into styling and am offering some of my most treasured pieces as rentals for weddings and events!  I would love to be a part of making your special day beautiful!


How would you describe your "style"?
A beach girl at heart, I am inspired by the sun-bleached colors of the ocean and try to incorporate natural materials and fabrics into my designs.  I have a deep appreciation for furniture and love to give new life to tired pieces.  I try to use reclaimed wood and antiques whenever possible because I firmly believe in giving things a second chance.

What's the most memorable piece you've ever created and why?
Arg!  Such a hard question!  I Was really proud of a beautiful headboard I created for one customer.  I had never made one before and it was such a labor of love.  I also rehabbed a sweet 1800s wash stand and added a window to the top with a quote.  This was used in a styled shot with Andrew & Tianna Photography and the lovely JDE.  I couldn't believe how gorgeous it looked in photos.


What are your favorite types of pieces to create?
So, you might as well learn this now...I have a slightly unhealthy obsession with driftwood. We don't get much of it here on the east coast so I have to ship it in from Washington State and the California coast.  I absolutely love getting to make anything with driftwood.  It is a puzzle just waiting to be put together.

Who are your favorite vendors/venues to work with/at?
I'm new to the wedding scene, but so far in the Virginia Beach area I have enjoyed working with Just Dandy Events, Snapback Studios, and Andrew & Tianna Photography.  Here in Richmond, I love Black Creek Flowers & Sweets and the Historic Mankin Mansion.  In the Outerbanks, I love 108 Budleigh, Holiday House Weddings, and Daniel Pullen Photography.  I am really excited to expand my list of vendor friends!

 
Any advice for brides when planning their wedding and incorporating signage?
To begin with, I'd say "take a deep breath and keep it simple".  Too often we get bogged down in trying to incorporate all of the amazing ideas we have seen on Pinterest and the end result can end up looking a little cluttered and ADD.  Pick a central theme and a few interesting and unique pieces, then style the wedding around those.  A few great focal pieces will have your guests oohing and ahhing instead of feeling overwhelmed.  I also think it is always fun to have a few cute signs for the bride and groom to hold for pictures or to use in thank you cards later!



Julia, thank you for being you and for sharing a little bit about Water's Edge Design.  Love you to pieces and am so happy you're joining this wonderful wedding community!  <3

share this on »
{Facebook} {Twitter} {Pinterest}
Add a comment

Leave a Reply